Monday, April 19, 2010

Squashed Chicken

My parents have a house on Lake Martin in Alabama, and there was this little dive shack that served dinner - REALLY GOOD DINNER.

Last time we were in town, I spent a few minutes with the owner rocking on the front porch dissecting this particular dish, as it was my mom and my sister's favorite, and it seemed super easy to make AND healthy to boot.

He didn't want to share it, as it was there "special-ity" but I guessed how to maske it, and he said I got it right.

I started making it at home, and although I may have thrown in a few variations, it is still THE BEST THING I cook lately and I can't wait to make it for my Mom!

There are 2 variations, one for indoor cooking an done for grilling, so depending on your facilities and weather you can have either way.

Here is your shopping list:

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
Squash
Zucchini
Red or Gold Potatoes
Mushrooms
Yellow Onion
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil
Garlic

I KNOW, easy right? any given summer day I have all that in my kitchen anyway.

So I make this in one huge wok/skillet if I am not making it on the grill.

Place chicken breasts, olive oil and garlic in the skillet and get it started cooking.

MMMMmmm. That smells good already.

***For the grill, simply coat the chicken in olive oil and garlic and grill it. Bam! Easy Peasy! You should also throw your taters on the grill if you are cooking it that way!***

Allrighty, and while that is sizzling up you can chop up your veggies. I prefer them super chunky, especially if grilling. I know these pictures aren't of super chunky veggies,. and that is how I know to recommend them bigger. About 1/2 inch thick at least.

Throw your chopped veggies in a bowl and drizzle with oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss it about to coat.

Flip the chicken.
If you are going stove top, just toss the veggies on top, onions, mushrooms, squash and zucchini, and flip a cover on it.

If you are grilling, a grilling basket or just wrapping the veggies in tin foil will do. slap them on the grill.

Throw the potatoes in the microwave.
Throw your thANG down flip it and reverse it.
Pour yourself a martini - YOU JUST MADE DINNER!


Uncover, throw the taters on top and mash it a bit with a fork.

If you are pulling it off the grill, put the chicken on a platter and fork up those pieces to shred them a little. Open up your veggie in foil and throw those down on top. Throw your taters on there and mash them up a bit with your fork.



You might need to dust a little something off your shoulder, cookie, because the cowboys are going to LOVE THIS!

THANK YOU to The (former) GRILLIN SHACK for sharing your wisdom and yumminess.

And LOOK OUT MOM! I think mine might even be a little better!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

That sounds amazing. Totally going to add it to my summer menu rotation.

SugarPlumsMomma said...

Sounds really good - now if I could only get the hubs to eat the veggies.

 
© 2011 Designs by Dana